Saturday, September 8, 2007

When I started this blog in January my intention was to write down experiences from my kitchen. I have posted recipes most of the days, but some days I have only been "food-talking". I have learned during these months that I am not an expert in writing down recipes from all the "food-knowledge" I have in my head and heart, so my step by step explanations haven't always been easy to follow.

I have been thinking alot about my food blog lately. I have three blogs to follow up at the moment. Some days it is more than I can handle, other days it is a dream. I will keep on developing all three blogs, but will do some changes here at The Blue Café. Not all posts will be recipes. Some days I will talk about food, share food stories, show you books I've found or take you with me when I food-travel.
I know there are quite alot of readers of this blog which I never hear from. I would love to get to know you better, and walk a few, or many steps along the road of foods with you.
Starting this new road today, I have a macaron story to share:
As a daily reader of Carol's ParisBreakfast, I know everything about the look and the colours of macarons. I have seen them in all different colours, with an unbelievable variety of fillings, in all imaginable settings. But I had never tasted one. Not until a couple of weeks ago. I was in Oslo, it was right after breakfast and I was on my way to a meeting. I had some spare minutes for a cappucino though, and sat down at Pascal. And almost fell down from my chair when I dicovered they had macarons. I hastily regained myself and ordered two. Would have loved to order all different colours and fragrances, but as I sai it was still early morning - I had to behave.

Next time I will come back for the day. I will bring my diary, my book, stationary, ipod.....and I will disappear into a world of magnifician tastes, colours and flavours. I have lost my innocence.

4 comments:

wendybirde said...

Hi Britt-Arnhild,

I admit to getting frustrated when a recipe looks so yummy i want to make it but it doesnt explain exactly how. But i'm also learning through your blog that thats not the only way to learn about cooking. Your lovely pictures and experiences have been wonderful teachers in themselves...

Paix,

Wendy

Anonymous said...

I am one of your quiet readers. It was interesting to see macarons. I do not know what they are. At first I thought you were talking about what we call macaroons, which are delicious cookies made from globs of sweetened coconut, held together with egg white and sugar, and baked until just golden brown. No colors except the golden color of the baked egg and coconut. So it's interesting to see your picture of these brightly hued macarons. What are they made from?

Anonymous said...

Wendy - my "problem" is that I seldom use a recipe, or if I have one I do changes all the time :-)

Ann - I also make cocos macaroons. These macarons are quite different though. I must confess I have no idea how they are made. May be Carol at ParisBreakfast knows? Thanks for your comment.

Carolyn T said...

Hi Britt-Arnhild: Most of the time I just read your blog entries (both the Blue Cafe and the House in the Woods) and don't comment. I so enjoy your free-spirited writing style. You stop to smell the flowers. You take time to sit and contemplate. In our (well, my) busy life, I hardly ever take time to smell the flowers and sit and think. Always too much to do-do-do. But I look forward to reading your posts - very much - and feel like I could walk right into your house and have a cup of tea or coffee with you and we'd be fast friends. Thank you for making the time to write.
I have the same problem with my blog (although I'm still new at it) and wonder sometimes whether people are really reading it. So few people comment.