Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunday Wreath



We have more or less emptied the boxes with Christmas cookie, and I can't say it makes me sad. Christmas cookies are great, but they have their limits, and when mid-January comes I feel that the limit is reached as well.


So when friends announced that they would be coming for coffee Sunday afternoon, I had the perfect excuse to bake a yeast wreath (as if I need an excuse to bake.......)




Marta and I shared the dough between us, she made buns, I made what we in Norway call "klippekrans", which can be translated into a cutted wreath (I use the scissors to cut). All Norwegian children learn to make this in school. Usually the wreath is filled with butter, sugar, cinnamon and raisins. I used marzipan instead of sugar and raisins, as I always have so much left over marzinpan after the creamcakes at this time of the year.


klippekrans / sunday wreath




300gr butter


1l water


75-100gr fresh yeast


2dl sugar


ca 1,5kg white flour


--------------------------


melt the butter, add water and make sure it get a lukewarm temperature


add the yeast and stir rill it kind of melts


mix everything, stir well





rise in warm kitchen for about one hour




make the wreath from half of the dough, buns of the rest, or make two or three wreaths. The one I made rised very well and turned out almost too big




bake in oven, 200C for 25 minutes





-----------------------------------




The guests have left, the leftover wreath is cut into two pieces and are sleeping in the freezer. Will be as good as fresh later when warmed up in the oven.


I anjoy a tidy, warm, quiet livingroom with Schubert on the cd-player.


There can never be too much Schubert........





1 comment:

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

That looks very tasty..your guests were very lucky..I love reading about your baking, you have wonderful recipes. :-)