Thursday, January 15, 2009

Four half tomatos and a piece of bread

Marta made pancakes for dinner yesterday. They were ready when I came home from work, warm, delicious and with sweet blueberry jam from the freezer. A perfect meal made by my 12 year old chef. She phoned me when I was on my way home from work; "Mamma, I don't think there is enough milk for the pancakes." I was tired and didn't want to go grocery shopping on my way home, so I had to think fast. "Look in the fridge Marta, there should be some creme fraiche there, add some of it and use water instead of milk, and your pancakes should be all right".
They were!


I seldom eat anything for supper, but with an early pancake dinner I felt a craving for a treat in the night. I had a couple of tomatoes threatening to become too ripe and I had some leftover white bread threatening to become too dry. How could I combine this?


Easy. I baked the tomatoes in the oven for about one hour, first half an hour on 200C, then the rest of the time on 150C, with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh basil, and let the bread, dipped in olive oil, bake with the tomatoes the last 15 minutes. A glass of water with a slice of lemon and some Claude Debussy music...........a perfect night.


-------------------------------



No comments: