Friday, January 2, 2009

Aspic with eggs, green peas and shrimps

It is breadbaking day here in The Blue Café today. We are still in a holiday mood (will not be back to school and work untill Monday), but I was up early to keep the good rythm. I started the breaddough right after breakfast, so the girls woke up to the smell of fresh bread through the house and could eat some for a late breakfast while it was still warm. I really should make it a new year's resolution to bake all our bread, but I know that in a week or two, or five...... when life is back to it's normal scedule, I will probably be too busy to keep up. Well, anyway we can enjoy it today. And it feels extra good to sit inside a warm, nice Christmas decorated home when the world outside is a totally winter wonderland. It has been snowing heavily for two days and it will keep on snowing untill tomorrow morning. If it stops then I might go out cross country skiing. I'm crossing my fingers.

But this post is not supposed to be about bread, nor about snow, but a recipe from the New Year's Eve buffet. More will come in the following days, but today I'll give you the recipe for aspic. I have no idea what this is called in English, but it is a kind of salt jelly which you can fill with anything you like.

Aspic with eggs, green peas and shrimps

aspic powder
5dl water
5 eggs
one box of green peas
one box of shrimps
-------------------------------------
mix the aspic powder and the water, stir well while it is heathed to the point og boiling
let it cool

slice the eggs and "decorate" the inside of a breadpan
add the cold liquid, the peas and the shrimps
------------------------------
stay cold over night or for a few hours
serve with remoulade, recipe will come tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------
While baking the breads today, mixing the flour and the water, kneeding the dough, enjoying the smell from the over, I have been sitting down to read Umberto Eco, listening to Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsodies. Life is good :-)



1 comment:

sukipoet said...

Aspic is also what it is called in English. This is very beautiful, Britt-arnhild. guess it is all gone by now!