Sunday, January 11, 2009

Gratinert løksuppe, Gratinée des Halles

I have a huge blue book about French cooking. Yesterday morning I started to look though it in search of recipes, or rather in search of inspiration, as I seldom follow the recipes when I cook. I am more a find the way as I walk person. I was going downtown later in the day and was making a grocery list. But the more I looked, the more tempted I was of French cooking, and almost booked a ticket to France :-)..... Well, in the end I decided to go for a very simple, very tasty gratinated onion soup, Gratinée des Halles.

Again and again I discover that the best food is often the simple food. With few but the best ingredients, where each item added shows off her best. Onion soup is a very good example. We had this soup as a starter last night, and it felt rich enough to be a full meal.

Løksuppe / Gratinée des Halles
one onion
5dl water
extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
toast
cheese
------------------------------------------
slice the onion and fry it in the olive oil. Add the water and let it boil for 30 minutes
add salt and pepper
fill two soupbowls, top the soup with 4 pieces of small slices of toast and cheese
put in hot oven for about 10 minutes



-----------------------------------------------

After the New Year's concert from Wien I discovered that I did not have any Johann Strauss in my music collection. With amazon it was easy to do something with that, and last week Die Fledermaus came in the mail.
The onion soup tasted even better with Gabril von Eisenstein, Rosalinde, Alfred, Adele and the others from Die Fledermaus singing in the background :-)


1 comment:

Annie Jeffries said...

Good morning Britt. French Onion is my favorite. I inevitably order this if it's on the menu and I think I even made it once. I'm not terribly adventurous in the kitchen but the simplicity of French Onion soup recipes inspire me to try it again.