Monday, January 29, 2007

Violet potatoes.


The dinners in the monastery were quite simple, though they tasted heavenly :-) Most of the days during my week there we ate vegetarian food only, but the last day was a special feast day, and the food was thereafter - delicious violet potatoes, lamb and vegetables, served with a sweet Bourgogne, eaten while learning about old saints from Father Anthony.
In my "House in the Woods" I will tomorrow tell my special story about my astonishment when being served these violet potatoes. I couldn't understand how they got their colour, but now I have learned that such violet potatoes really excist....so my inkbottle has nothing to fear.
Sorry, I don't have a recipe on how to make this meal, so let the photos speak to you, use your imagination, and just enjoy! And find a book about the saints and read about their exciting lives.








5 comments:

Darla said...

I've seen purple potatoes in our specialty produce store but never tried them. The man of the house grew some purple string beans one year, can't recall their name. Anyhow, I thought they were going to be fun but when they are cooked they turn green - just like any old string bean. Drat!

Anonymous said...

Did they add red wine to the boiling water when they added the potatoes? That lamb dinner looks too good.

Anonymous said...

Violet potatoes - I think they'd look utterly lovely with some pansy blooms added. Wouldn't that be pretty?

Rose
www.thecenterofmyself.spaces.live.com

Terri said...

I had Blue Potatoes with Drea once. They came from Trader Joes.

www.valencia-3d.com said...

I saw so much worthwhile material here!