Thursday, January 18, 2007

Frittata with a touch of friendship.

Do you remember my Friendship Fruitcake from yesterday? The one we got in the mail right after Christmas? My daughter also got some food goodies in the mail, from good friends in France. Having difficulties in deciding what to give a 17 year old girls with her very own taste, they decided to go for a box of goodies where each family member put in a favorite treat (a great idea I plan to adapt for gifts for friends abroad).

My daugher was thrilled, and right away had a feast with her younger sister.


I am home this week, with the rest of the family busy with work and school. Which means I make lunch only for myself, and I have alot of time to do so. Everyday lunches in Norway is actually quite a boring affair, we have the so called "matpakke" - foodie bag, with a couple of pieces of bread with cheese or ham. It is okay when you are hungry enough, which I always am at 11.30am, but nothing to stimulate your appetite :-) - remind me that I must make a "matpakke" blog entry here one day.

But back to my solitary lunches. Yesterday I became hungry as usual around noon, and decided I wanted to make something more creative than a couple of pieces of bread with "brunost" (which is brown goat cheese, sweet and very, very Norwegian). Chasing the fridge I found a few leftover mini salamis from my daughter's gift, and decided to use them in a frittata.

Hence: Frittata with a touch of friendship.


I cut the salamis into small pieces and friend them in the pan with virgin olive oil, leek, garlic and onion. After a few minutes of frying I let this stuffing rest in a bowl while I made the frittata of two eggs, salt, pepper and paprika. Carefully not to burn it I fried the frittata on both sides. When finished I put the stuffing on top, folded the frittata in two, fried a few pieces of French bread and ........... Solitare lunch in The Blue Café was ready.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did the fried "mini saucissons" taste like? (yuk-yuk??)

We always eat them as they are: raw - and cold! (thought you knew!)
and mini ones are eaten as "apéritif bites"...

Sheila said...

This looks delicious..
and very colourful.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a wonderful idea. Years ago I traded food packages with a lady who lived in Tromso, Norway. We did this around Christmas, but decided not to send airmail as the pkg would cost a fortune. We sent it snail mail and ours got here in February. We invited friends over to a Norwegian Christmas and had an absolutely wonderful time. Our package to her was filled with Seattle and Washington delicacies with everything from salmon to cherries and teas. I think these friendship packages are another way to show what different countries have to share with each other.

Anonymous said...

Delicious, when cooking for one I often feel a little uninspired, but this is fantastic and looks simple too. Thanks for sharing.

tut-tut said...

Looks lovely!

Britt-Arnhild said...

Marie-Noëlle, they were perfect in the omelette, you should try it some day :-)

Ardi, you must take care to send food that make it through some weeks though. I love Marie-Noëlle's idea (yes, she was the giver) and plan to adapt it myself.

Cruststation, I agree with you, cooking for one can be a challenge, but well worth it....

Anonymous said...

TOO Delicious!!!!