Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"flesk"

Yes, I know, The Blue Café is too sweet for the moment. A sweet small fills the house and we are all a little more happy. I flip through my handwritten cookbook which is just as old as my marriage, several times a day making plans for what to bake next, writing lists for grocery shopping. Yesterday I phoned my mother to ask her about her "krumkake" recipe, hers is better than mine. When she lifted the reciver the first thing she said was: "Britt-Arnhild, I was just going to ask you if you want me to make krumkaker for you" My answer to her question was a smiling yes :-). One of the traditions my g\husband has brought with him from his childhood is to make what we call "flesk". What can I call this in English? Turkish Delight? Jellies? I have no idea why we call them flesk in Norwegian, flesk actually means fat or pork, and these sweets ar as far from pork as you can imagine. I am sitting in my studio tonight, and while I worked on a post about Øystein's Angels, Marta came running up the stairs to give me a taste of what she and dad had been making. My mouth feels quite sweet now, and my smile is broad. Do you want to make some flesh for Chrismas as well? It is quite easy.
flesk
1 kg sugar
3dl water
3 more dl water
4 pkg of white gelatine
Warm sugar and water till the sugar has melted.
Melt the gelatine plates in water.
Boil all for 15 minutes
add red colour (and a little lemon)
Pour the liquid into a roasting pan and leave it cold over night.
Dice the flesk and roll it in sugar.

The flesk taste even better when made my young fingers:-)

5 comments:

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Oh this looks YUMMY! Yes, I do believe it is referred to as Turkish Delight (one of my most favorite candies)! We don't have it here in the U.S., but I buy some every time we go to England. I had hubby order some to sell in our shop for the holidays, so hopefully he will put some in my stocking! But made by little hands, that MUST taste the best! =)

UP said...

Christmas is my favorite time of the year. All the baking, the visiting, the spending time with family. The Christmas activities at church. Your flesk looks delicious. They remind me of the orange sugar coated candies we received as children. After the Sunday School Christmas program each of us kids would get a bag of goodies. In the bag would be some candy, roasted in the shell peanuts, and an orange. I suppose by today's standards this wouldn't seem like much. However, us kids would look forward all year to these bags of goodies.

Britt-Arnhild said...

Beachy - I wish I could visit your shop some time.

up - like you I love all the Christmas activities. Oh, those sweetie bags must have been great.

Donetta said...

Oh wow this is like cotlets made here in the states U>S> , can you translate measurements to cups/teasp ect. please. it sounds great

cherished*vintage said...

Thanks so much for sharing your recipes! I've got to try and make flesk. I'm a 4th generation Norwegian/American and try to keep the Christmas traditions my Great Grandparents brought over with them from the "old country" alive. Funny thing... we've always thought that krumkake was Swedish.
-Karoline