Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Something simple for a Monday.

In Norway most people eat dinner as soon as they are home from work. For us this means sometime around 4.30 - 5pm. Usually when I come home from work I am starving and spending too much time on preparing the food is almost impossible. So I play with my recipes and "chef-cooking" during the week-ends and make something simple during the week.

Walking home from the busstop takes my steps past our closest grocery store, and it is easy to stop and shop for dinner. And the bus ride home from work gives me the perfect time for planning what to eat.

Today was one of these days when I knew I wanted to make something fast and simple. I was hungry, and I wanted to go out in the garden as soon as we had eaten. A Swedish sausgae called "falukorv" was the solution. Diced and braised in olive oil with a red, sweet paprika and fresh green spring onion - fast, simple and delicious. And some macaroni we bought in Italy was perfect with the sausage.

And knowing my kids I was smart enough to buy an extra sausage. Marta had two friends at home who were hungry for dinner, Ingrid and her friend came home during our meal, starving after a long run.

The Blue Café is always busy.

















7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to share this recipe with my DH--he likes sausages. Your food photos look like pages from a magazine! Happy Days! :o)

Darla said...

Your meal looks delicious. I'm sure your family and guest enjoyed it.

Darla

julia said...

goodness! That is early!
Do you have a supper later in the evening?
In France we don't eat until at least 8pm and often later which means there is little time to do anything afterwards except clear the plates and was the dishes

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I came out as 'my favourite quote' instead of Mouse. I think I need to go correct my blogger profile!

Anonymous said...

Tracy - greetings to your dh. I hope he like it :-)

Darla - as long as they don't have to cook themselves they love almost anything I make.....

Mouse - we usually eat a piece of bread at night.

Terri said...

I like eating early too. I try to eat before 6:00pm. Interesting to know Norweigans do the same.

Linda said...

My husband is French and when we met was eating at 9 PM or even later. I had to get up at 6 AM which led to early lunches and dinners. It took me several years to start eating around 8 or 8:30 and he moved down from 9. He was amazed when we visited my parents in the States and we sat down to eat at 5 PM. Those early bird specials at various cafeterias in the States fascinate him as well. Maybe you eat earlier than many Europeans because of the short days during most of the year? Just guessing.