Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Waldorf Salad

We are still in Christmas mood here. Terje, Marta and I have spent New Year with friends at their cabin, but headed back home after breakfast today.
Work starts again tomorrow, so tonight is time for a last Christmas breakfast for the extended family (+ a boyfriend and a friend)
For the last about 10 years we've had turkey on the menu one of the days after Christmas Eve. This year we were invited to dinner parties those days, so the turkey had to wait. But now it is the oven, and in an hour we will be 8 people seated around the table
Turkey is a new dish here in Norway, adopted from USA, and when we first started to make it I got a recipe for the stuffing from Terje's greeat grandaunt, who died many years ago. She lived most of her grown up life in US, but came back to Norway to spend her last years here.
With the turkey we always serve rice, and a Waldorf salad.
I can't remember where I have got the recipe for the waldorf salad, I have it written down in my handwritten recipe book, and a note that I made it for the first time in 1987.
Waldorf Salad
2 apples
a small box of pinapple
2 stalks of cellery
100g cabbage
100g grapes
1dl almonds
1dl majonaise
1dl whiped cream
4teaspoons lemonjuice
2teaspoons suger
Dice the fruit, whipe the cream and mix it with majonaise, sugar and lemon.
Mix it all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turkey and waldorf salad sounds great...what time are you serving?...I just saw that you lived in Trondheim and we stopped there on the Hurtigruten in September as we worked our way up North. We visited the beautiful cathedral and did some shopping there...very cute town. you must look back at my postings from Norway to see where we went.

Happy New Year!

carol

Britt-Arnhild said...

Carol - dinner last night was very late because our daughter was working. We started to eat at 9.30pm.

I work in the Archbishop's Palace next door to the cathedral. What a pity we didn't know each other then.

Gudl said...

That looks so delicious! You make me hungry!!
Happy New Year to you.

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Britt-Arnhild, this is one of my most favorite salads!!!

I haven't forgotten about sharing my favorite cookbook(s) with you. When things are quieter around the house this winter, I will email you. I still have to take down all of my Christmas decorations (I loaded the tree with ornaments so I have a big job ahead of me, especially since most of the ornaments are very delicate).