Monday, May 19, 2008

Arme riddere, or "poor knights"

Usually we eat a piece of bread and some cheese or homemade jam in the evenings (dinner is quite early here), but last night I wanted something different. I search though my mind to see if I could think of something which didn't mean I had to buy anything, I don't like to do grocery shopping on Sundays. Then I remembered a long forgotten snack from my childhood, arme riddere (poor knights) is my direct translation, but this dish might have a completely different name in English. If you know the dish I would love to learn its name.
Arme riddere musy have been created by a housewife with alot of old, dry bread she needed "to get rid of". I am always fascinated by left over recipes, we really throw away too much good food in the world, and now when we know that a food crisis is coming, we should all take care with what we eat, and how to get the most out of little. Arme riddere is a good addition to any creative leftover-list.
Arme riddere
for 3 persons I used:
6 pieces of old bread
2 eggs
3 tablespoons of sugar
cinnamon
2dl skimmed mil
Mix egg, milk, sugar and cinnamon. Dip the bread in the mixture, make sure that the pieces of bread are soaked through.
Fry in butter or olive oil untill it get a perfect suntanned colour.
Perfect to eat with homemade strawberry jam.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is what most Americans call "French toast" (in German "Arme Ritter," the same as in Norwegian).

Anonymous said...

It is "French Toast" in North America. Here in Canada, at least, we eat it with maple syrup. It is a favourite at my house.

Anonymous said...

Yep, that is French toast from my childhood, as well -- Indiana, Buffalo, and yes, on into Tennessee.

julia said...

I also call it French toast though my French neighbours would omit at the cinnamon and call it "using up an old baguette"

Lovely nursery food!

Gudl said...

Yes, french toast (but with fresh bread) here in USA, Arme Ritter in Deutschland!
Your bread looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

Wentelteefjes in Dutch.

Anonymous said...

In my home it is french toast and sometimes, I stuff it with a sweet cream cheese mixture . . . sometimes with fruit. Maple syrup drizzled on top is yummy or warmed fruit compote.

Anonymous said...

In England it is known, boringly, as Eggy Bread!

Anonymous said...

A long forgotten recipe here too: "pain perdu" in French

MN